MX player is one of the most amazing media players you will ever come across. This media player works on smartphones, PCs, and laptops. The features provided by MX Player to its users is beyond anyone’s expectation. However, even the best media players have some limitations. Some codecs like AC3, DTS, MLP have been withdrawn from the official MX Player. This step was taken due to some licensing issues.
Due to this, whenever you play a video or movie on your device using MX player, you won’t be able to hear the audio. Or, a message will be displayed saying ‘Audio format (AC3) is not supported‘ on your screen. This will result into your video playing but with no audio. Fortunately, this problem can be rectified. You do not have to search for any other media player to watch your videos.
Solving this problem will hardly take two minutes of your time. Whenever you come across a situation where there is an error while playing your video in MX player, it indicates that the codec file required to play such format is missing on your device. To solve this problem, you need to download and install the codec file on your device. To download the required codec file, you must know your custom codec. Follow the instructions given below to find your custom codec. Recommended Download MX Player for PC, MX Player APK, and MX Player Pro APK.
Find Which MX Player Custom Codec Your Device Needs
- 1. Launch the app on your device and tap on the three vertical dots located at the top right-hand side corner.
- 2. Select ‘Settings‘ from the drop-down box.
- 3. Now, click on ‘Decoder‘ from the page you will be diverted to.
- 4. Then, go to the bottom of the page where you will find ‘Custom code’ option.
In this option, you will see your custom codec file which you need to download for solving the audio error in your MX Player. Now since you know your custom codec file, you can download it on your device easily. These codec files are available on mx player website, and you can download them from there itself.
The only thing remaining now is to add the custom codec you have downloaded in your MX Player. You have two different methods using which you can add your custom codec to your MX Player. Let’s understand both the methods in detail.
- Check if the codec file you had downloaded is stored in the internal memory or the external memory. It is recommended that you store it in your internal memory.
- Now, launch MX Player on your device. Wait till MX Player automatically detects the codec. This will only happen if a compatible codec is found.
- A dialog box will appear on your screen. It will ask you if you want to use the file you have downloaded as a custom codec. Click on ‘OK” and allow the app to restart.
- Once the app gets restarted, you can confirm if the custom codec file is loaded or not. To do this, go to Menu >> Help >> About. Here, if the custom codec gets successfully loaded, it can be seen just along the Version information mentioned in round brackets.
However, it might happen that MX Player fails to detect the custom codec file you had downloaded. Thus, you will have to assign the correct path manually. Follow the steps of Method 2 to do so.
- Launch MX Player on your device and navigate to Menu >> Settings >> decoder.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Custom codec’ option.
- A pop-up screen will appear on your screen using which you can choose the correct path to the location where you had downloaded the custom codec.
- Once the custom codec gets detected by using your path, it will ask you to restart the media player. Click on ‘OK’ from the dialog box and allow the application to restart.
Using either of the methods mentioned above, you will be able to load a suitable custom codec on your MX Player. Once this is done, you can watch your favorite videos without any audio issue. If you get stuck at any of the steps listed above then, do let us know in the comments section below.